Peanut butter and jelly oatmeal- A new spin on a classic that will make you a gold star mom in the morning!
After a long break from social media and the blog, I am finally back and so excited for all the fun content coming up in the next few months! But first, I am sharing this recipe that was totally unplanned. I posted a photo on my Instagram account (@MotherhoodinStilettos) of my peanut butter and jelly oatmeal and I had a few lovely people ask if the recipe was on my blog. Of course, I was hesitant about posting it given it’s so simple and easy to make, but I say this about almost all my recipes and I know that many of you appreciate these effortless meals. So here it is! You ask and you shall receive. 😉
I’m pretty sure this isn’t the first time I say this, but I wake up STARVING in the morning. If I don’t have breakfast within 15 minutes of waking up, I turn into a Hangry Beast! No joke… And it seems that my little dude has inherited this lovely trait because he is the same way. So having two hangry beasts in the morning doesn’t make for a pleasant start to the day. That’s why quick and not overly complicated breakfasts are a must in our household! One of my go-to’s is hot bowls of oats. With the right mixture of ingredients and toppings, it keeps me full till 11 am (we normally eat around 6 am-7 am) and makes me feel like I’m ready to conquer the day.
If you’re not a fan of oatmeal, I totally get it. Without adding anything to it, the flavor and texture are just too bland and blah. You have to add tasteful ingredients to make it more exciting and delicious. Adding peanut butter, a very berry jelly and some almond milk swirled around into your bowl of oats, definitely amps up the boring old oats into an insanely delicious healthy bomb.com breakfast!
Now if you haven’t guessed already, this jelly isn’t your ordinary one that you buy at the store. It’s my triple berry chia seed jam! It’s one of my oldest recipes on the blog, (check it out here) and I am always changing up the fruit combinations. From blueberry lemon to strawberry and peach, trust me when I say the delicious flavor combos are endless! What I love most about these chia seed jams, is that there are ZERO preservatives and they are refined sugar-free, not to mention they are really good. If you’re on a “New year, new me” health kick, (aren’t we all in January?) then I would highly recommend replacing your store bought jam to this one. Granted, regular jam still works in this recipe too. Do you!
- 1/2 cup organic steel cut oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp berry chia seed jam (or jelly of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 tsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- In a small pot, combine the oats, almond milk and maple syrup. Simmer on medium heat until the milk has absorbed into the oats, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour into a bowl and swirl the jam on top and serve!
- If you want to drizzle the peanut butter like I did, just add a little water to the peanut butter just until desired pourable consistency. I promise it won't affect the taste!
Are you or your kids a fan of the classic PB&J? What’s your favorite breakfast to make?
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #MISyummyeats on Instagram.