Serving up Sunday brunch like a pro with this quick Mexican Chipotle Shakshuka, loaded with avocado, corn, feta, jalapenos, and cilantro. Trust me, your friends and family will be impressed and want seconds!
With Father’s Day coming up this weekend, I wanted to share a super quick brunch recipe that wouldn’t leave us, busy mamas, slaving away in the kitchen. Now, to be honest, when it come to brunch or breakfast for that matter, my Mister isn’t the first one at the kitchen table with a fork in hand ready to chow down. He doesn’t wake up starving like I do, which admittedly can be annoying on the weekends when I want to make a huge brunch that will leave us full till dinner and he’s just not feeling it. So sometimes a large stack of pancakes drizzled with syrup, just isn’t his idea of a yummy way to start his day. So plan B, make something that doesn’t scream the all Canadian brunch and this is where the Mexican Chipotle Shakshuka comes in.
If you aren’t too familiar with Shakshuka, it’s a middle eastern inspired dish which is basically eggs poached in tomato sauce. It is also known as eggs in purgatory, but mostly known as one of the best brunches that you can make EVER! Ok, ok, ok…Joking aside, this Mexican chipotle version is by far my favorite. Adding chipotle into the sauce adds a sweet smoky flavor and topping it off with some of my favorite ingredients like avocado, cilantro, corn, jalapeno and some feta. And in true Motherhood in Stilettos fashion, you know that this recipe is done in under 30 minutes, making Sunday brunch a breeze to put together.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 can chipotle sauce or 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 cups jarred tomato sauce
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- Chopped avocado, cilantro, jalapenos, corn and crumbled feta for garnish
- Sliced baguette, warm corn tortillas or tortilla chips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees celsius. Meanwhile, in a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat, then add in onions and cook until translucent. Add in the garlic and stir until golden. Stir in the tomato sauce, halved cherry tomatoes and chipotle sauce (or chopped chipotle peppers) and cook over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Crack the eggs into the tomato sauce and top with cheese.
- Bake in oven until set. For runny eggs cook about 5 minutes and for fully cooked through eggs, cook about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, corn, cilantro, and sliced jalapenos and serve with fresh warm baguette, tortillas or tortilla chips.
Have you ever tried Shakshuka before? What will you be making for Father’s day brunch?
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #MISyummyeats on Instagram.